Skip to main content

Oilers snag Arvidsson from rival Kings with two year deal

*Photo from KO Sports*
   More scoring is heading to Northern Canada. Forward Viktor Arvidsson and the Edmonton Oilers have agreed to a two year, $8 million contract, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman. Edmonton has confirmed the deal.

   Arvidsson was limited heavily by a back injury last season, as he didn't play until February 15 due to the injury. Playing for the Los Angeles Kings for the 3rd season, Arvidsson had 6 goals and 9 assists in 18 games. He had no goals and 3 assists in 5 playoff games.

   When Arvidsson was healthy in 2022-2023 with the Kings, he had a productive year, falling two points short of his career high. He had 26 goals and a career high 33 assists for 59 points, averaging 17:06 of ice time in 77 regular season games. He had one goal and 6 assists across 6 playoff games that year.

   Chosen in the 4th round of the 2014 NHL draft by the Nashville Predators, Arvidsson gets a two year deal that pays him $4 million annually with the Oilers as they come off a loss to the Florida Panthers in 7 games in the Stanley Cup Final.

   Arvidsson said of his role with the Oilers that "I like to have the puck and play offense, so I think that’s going to fit me, I think that’s what the team does. I think to create offense and to create scoring chances, I think that’s my game and I play a 200-foot game, too. I think I saw a great opportunity for me to be successful and for the team to be successful."

   Between the Predators and Kings, Arvidsson has 10 years in the league under his belt, debuting in 2014-2015 with a 6 game cup of coffee. He has 179 goals and 183 assists to his name, averaging 16:42 of ice time per game in 546 regular season games. He has 13 goals and 24 assists in 72 playoff games.

   So far this offseason, the Oilers have re-signed Corey Perry, Mattias Janmark, Connor Brown, Adam Henrique, and Troy Stecher. Arvidsson joins forward Jeff Skinner and defenseman Josh Brown as the team's external additions this summer.

Comments