Skip to main content

Duclair departs Florida for multi year deal with Islanders

*Photo from Florida Hockey Now*
   Free agent LW Anthony Duclair has signed a 4 year, $14 million contract with the New York Islanders, according to The Fourth Period's David Pagnotta. The Islanders have confirmed the deal.

   Having been well traveled around the league, Duclair is somewhat familiar with playing in New York, as he started his career with one season playing for the New York Rangers in 2014-2015, his rookie year. He's not in the big city this time, rather on Long Island suiting up for the Islanders.

   With the Islanders, Duclair also gets some long term security with his contract as he enters his age 29 season. He'll make $3.5 million annually over all 4 years and he also gets a full no trade clause for the first two years. He has a modified no trade clause for the final two years in the form of a 16 team no trade list.

   Duclair said of signing with the Islanders "I think that, at this stage of my career and my life, I just wanted a little bit more stability, trying to find a home for a little bit. And I'm glad that Lou gave me that vote of confidence. And just looking forward to getting started and moving back to New York."

   Last season ended up being another successful year for Duclair. Playing for the San Jose Sharks and Tampa Bay Lightning, he combined to score 24 goals while adding 18 assists for 42 points, averaging 15:46 of ice time per game in 73 games. He had no goals and two assists in 5 playoff games for the Lightning.

   Over his career, Duclair has been known as a streaky player, but has always ended the year looking good in the points department. In 2021-2022 with the Florida Panthers, he set career highs in goals, assists, and points by potting 31 goals to go with 27 assists for 58 points.

   Duclair said of his role with the Islanders "I think my job is to bring some speed, some offense, and, like I said, I'm not sure who I'm gonna play with, but, I think, we have just looking at the roster, a lot of good players up front and a lot of skill. I'm just looking forward to amplifying that forward group and doing the best I can each and every night."

   In his 10 years in the league, Duclair has played for 8 different teams, including both teams in Florida. He has 146 goals and 157 assists for 303 points to his name, notching a +39 rating while averaging 14:28 of ice time per game in 563 regular season games. He has an additional 5 goals and 11 assists in 39 playoff games.

   The Islanders had a modest opening to free agency, with Duclair being the only external addition to the team. They also re-signed defenseman Mike Reilly to a one year contract.

Comments