Skip to main content

Longtime goalie Schneider announces retirement

*Photo from CT Insider*
   Another veteran is ending his career. Goalie Cory Schneider is retiring from the NHL after a 16 year career, he announced on Tuesday.

   Schneider said that "I’m satisfied with kind of pushing it as far as I could and kind of leaving on my own terms. I don’t think many athletes do get to leave on their terms, so I know that’s not very common. But I think for me, seeing that I could still play at a high level and being proud of that and the fact that I felt good about myself is a better way to go out there than maybe leaving after that COVID year."

   A former first round draft pick, Schneider was in the NHL for 13 seasons, including one game in 2021-2022. He spent the entire season last year with the AHL Bridgeport Islanders, playing in only one NHL game in the last 3 seasons.

   Schneider broke into the league with the Vancouver Canucks, being the goalie partner of Roberto Luongo. In 2010-2011, Schneider and Luongo won the Jennings Trophy while helping the Canucks reach the Stanley Cup Final, where they lost in 7 games to the Boston Bruins.

   Before the 2013-2014 season, Schneider was traded to the New Jersey Devils, where he then signed a long term contract. He split the net with Martin Brodeur during 2013-2014 before becoming the clear cut starter. He helped lead the Devils to the playoffs in 2017-2018, losing in the first round.

   Schneider has played for the Canucks, Devils, and one game with the Islanders in the NHL. He has a 171-159-58 record, recording 223 quality starts and 26 shutouts. He also has a .918 save percentage and 2.43 GAA in 389 starts and 410 games. In the playoffs, Schneider has a 2-6 record with a 2.35 GAA and .931 save percentage in 9 starts and 14 games.

   Injuries slowed Schneider after 2017-2018, being limited to 26 games in 2018-2019 after having hip surgery. In 2019-2020, Schneider dealt with poor performance, playing 13 games in the NHL while also playing for AHL Binghamton.

   Schneider said of the last few years of his career that "I know the majority of the last two years were spent in the AHL, but I felt I played really well there, and I felt good. I just never really got the chance to have an extended run in the NHL, which I understand. I knew that was a possibility when I went to the island. Obviously, Ilya and Semyon are incredible, probably the best goalies in the League and they stay healthy, which is a good thing, but it didn’t leave a lot of opportunities for me."

Comments