Skip to main content

Hagelin retires from playing career due to eye injury

*Photo from NoVa Caps*
   Another playing career has reached it's end. Veteran forward Carl Hagelin has announced his retirement from the NHL after a lingering injury has kept him sidelined for over a year. Hagelin announced the news on Wednesday.

   On March 1, 2022, Hagelin was struck in his left eye by an errant stick during practice. He has not played since the incident and underwent surgery on his eye. He also had surgery on his left hip twice in the past year, and has now decided to call it a career.

   Hagelin said in a statement on social media that "It's been an amazing ride but it ends here. Unfortunately, my eye injury is too severe to keep playing the game I love. I'm extremely grateful for all the memories hockey has given me and I've loved every single day of it."

   Chosen in the 6th round of the 2007 NHL Draft out of the University of Michigan, Hagelin is a back to back Stanley Cup champion, winning in 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 with the Pittsburgh Penguins. He only required 17 games in the AHL before he was called up by the New York Rangers, which was the start of his long run in the NHL.

   The last season Hagelin played was in 2021-2022 with the Capitals, prior to sustaining the eye injury towards the end of the season. He had 3 goals and 11 assists for 14 points, posting a +10 rating while averaging 14:14 of ice time in 53 games.

   Hagelin has played for 5 teams across 11 years in the NHL since debuting in 2011-2012 with the Rangers. He has amassed 110 goals and 186 assists, averaging 15:16 of ice time while posting a +119 rating over 713 regular season games. Hagelin has an additional 22 goals and 28 assists in 141 playoff games.

   In the playoffs, Hagelin had 50 points in 141 games from 2012 to 2021, appearing in the postseason 10 years in a row. In that same time frame, only Nashville Predators defenseman Ryan McDonagh has played in more playoff games than Hagelin, with McDonagh appearing in 150 games.

   Hagelin's statement continued, saying that "I'm gonna miss going to battle with my teammates on a daily basis. I'm gonna miss the ups and downs of a season. Nothing excites me more than stepping on the ice in front of 20,000 passionate fans. I want to thank all my amazing teammates, coaches, Doctors and other staff members that I've met and played with throughout the years. Lastly, I want to thank my family, my wife and my kids for all their support. They made it possible for me to live out my dream."

   This offseason, the Capitals made a noteworthy coaching change, letting go of Peter Laviolette and replacing him with Spencer Carbery. They also added forward Max Pacioretty on a one year deal.

Comments