Skip to main content

Defenseman Hughes tabbed as Canucks captain

*Photo from Puck Prose*
   A new team leader has been determined. The Vancouver Canucks have named defenseman Quinn Hughes as the team's next captain, according to an announcement by the Canucks on Monday.

   Hughes said of becoming captain that "It means a great deal to me, especially being in a Canadian market. When I moved here five years ago and started playing for the Canucks, I knew right away what a hockey market it is and how important hockey is to the city and the market and the people in Vancouver. So to now be the captain, it's an incredible honor, something that I never even dreamed of."

   By naming Hughes the captain, he becomes the 15th captain in Canucks history, and the 3rd defenseman to be the captain of the Canucks. Hughes replaces Bo Horvat, who was the captain before being traded in the middle of last season to the New York Islanders.

   Last season was another big season for Hughes on the Canucks blue line. He scored 7 goals and added a career high 69 assists for a career high 76 points, averaging a career high 25:40 of ice time while posting a +15 rating, another career high, in 78 games. That is also a career high for Hughes.

   Hughes said that "I'm never going to be the loudest guy in the room. I'm going to be a guy that hopefully can be a leader through his work ethic and in the games, and as time goes on I'll learn more and more about myself and being a leader and I feel real confident walking into this because of the coaching staff and the management I have with me and the people behind me. This is just the beginning for me but I'm hoping obviously to be a great leader. I think I will be."

   During last season, Hughes became the fastest defenseman to reach 200 assists in league history, doing so in his 263rd game. His 76 points in 78 games broke his own record for most points by a Canucks defenseman in a single season. Hughes was also an alternate captain for the Canucks last year.

   Hughes has spent all 4 full seasons and part of a 5th in the NHL with the Canucks. He has compiled 26 goals and 215 assists for 241 points. He's posted a -9 rating while averaging 23:57 of ice time over 283 regular season games. Hughes also has two goals and 14 assists to go with a -2 rating in 17 playoff games.

   Canucks GM Patrik Allvin said of Hughes that "It's a significant milestone here for the team signifying the change of leadership and the identity of the team. This is just not a reflection on Quinn's exceptional talent on the ice. It's also reflection on him off the ice and his leadership qualities."

   Since Hughes' first full season in 2019-2020, he has racked up 238 points, good for 3rd most among the Canucks. Only forwards JT Miller and Elias Pettersson have more in that time frame. Hughes is the only defenseman from the 2022-2023 opening night lineup currently on the Canucks roster.

   Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet said that "What I was impressed with Hughes was last year when I came in, just his love for the game, how his teammates, he mixes with everybody. I think that as a captain, you mix in with everybody. He said some uncomfortable things that he had to say if something didn't go well, or if he had to even put himself out there. That's why I really liked this leadership. They're not afraid to say something to me. That was important to me making that decision."

   The Canucks underwent a tumultuous season last year, firing head coach Bruce Boudreau and replacing him with Tocchet. They stumbled to a 38-37-7 record, missing the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row and 7th season out of 8.

Comments