Skip to main content

Kraken winger Donskoi abruptly retires from playing career

*Photo from Seattle Sports-My Northwest*
   Here's another career that's over too soon. Seattle Kraken forward Joonas Donskoi has announced his retirement from the NHL on social media on Sunday.

   During a preseason game last season, Donskoi suffered a concussion in what ends up being his final game in the NHL. He missed all of the regular season due to injury. After hitting free agency with his contract expiring, he is now calling it a career.

   In a statement, Donskoi said "After suffering multiple concussions over my career I've decided to retire from professional hockey. It is extremely hard to let go of something you have put your whole life into, but at this point I know it's the right decision for my own well being and future. I got to live my dream of being an NHL player, which I'm extremely blessed and grateful for. I think I was able to reach my own potential, which was always my biggest goal."

   "It would not have been possible without so many people who helped me along the way. Thank you San Jose Sharks, Colorado Avalanche, and Seattle Kraken. It was an honor to be a part of these 3 world class organizations, cities, and fanbases. To all my teammates, coaches, trainers, doctors, front offices, and fans: thank you for the best years of my life. I met so many great people and lifelong friends, on and off the ice."

   After being drafted in 2010, Donskoi spent the first 6 years of his career playing in Finland before signing with the San Jose Sharks before the 2015-2016 season. That kickstarted his NHL career, playing for 3 teams before abruptly retiring this summer.

   His last season was in 2021-2022, serving as an inaugural member of the Seattle Kraken. Donskoi contributed two goals and 20 assists for 22 points, averaging 14:50 of ice time with a -10 rating over 75 games for the Kraken, who missed the playoffs in their first year.

   Donskoi enjoyed a successful career in the NHL over his 7 seasons with the Sharks, Avalanche, and Kraken. He racked up 80 goals and 128 assists for 208 points, posting a +25 rating while averaging 14:32 of ice time in 474 regular season games. He added 15 goals and 17 assists in 69 playoff games, reaching the Stanley Cup Final in 2015-2016 with the Sharks.

   On the international stage, Donskoi played for Team Finland on 7 different occasions. He was part of Finland's Bronze medal winning team at the 2010 World under 18 championships and the 2012 World Junior Championships team that finished in 4th place.

Comments