Skip to main content

Talbot signs one year deal with Kings

*Photo from the Globe and Mail*
   There's a goaltending change in the city of Angels. The Los Angeles Kings and G Cam Talbot have agreed to a one year, $1 million contract, according to Kevin Weekes of ESPN. The Kings have confirmed the addition.

   Talbot said of going to the Kings that "When this opportunity came up to sign here now, it just kind of seemed like a no-brainer. Like I said, this team is built to win right now. They are very goalie friendly with the system that they play, and I'm just going to step in and make it as seamless as possible and try to give them some good outings."

   While he's only making $1 million, Talbot gets a full no trade clause in his contract, essentially locking him in for the entire season. The signing of Talbot comes after Joonas Korpisalo signed with the Ottawa Senators. He has a $225,000 signing bonus and $1 million available in performance bonuses.

   Last season, Talbot suited up for the Ottawa Senators following a trade from the Minnesota Wild last offseason. He had a 17-14-2 record with one shutout and 21 quality starts for the Senators, authoring a 2.93 GAA and .898 save percentage in 32 starts and 36 games.

   Coming to Los Angeles, Talbot reunites with current Kings head coach Todd McClellan, who Talbot played for previously with the Edmonton Oilers from the 2015-2016 season to the 2017-2018 season. Talbot credits McClellan being behind the bench as another reason for going to the Kings.

   Talbot said that "Playing for Todd in Edmonton, obviously I had some of my best years when I was there. He rode me pretty hard when I was there. I played the most amount of games I've ever played, had some of my best years, and getting to reunite with him is definitely a huge bonus for me. And coming to a team that's been building towards something here, they want to win, and I'm at the point in my career where I want to win, too, so this was a huge opportunity for me to come here and step in and hopefully challenge and play some games."

   Originally signed as an undrafted free agent, Talbot has played for 6 different teams over 10 years, with the Kings set to be his 7th. He has a 218-156-36 record with 224 quality starts and 28 shutouts, notching a .914 save percentage and 2.65 GAA in 413 starts and 432 games. He has a 15-16 record with a 2.51 GAA and .921 save percentage in 33 career playoff games.

   With the signing of Talbot, the Kings goalie picture now consists of Talbot and Pheonix Copley, with Korpisalo going to the Senators and Cal Petersen getting traded to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Comments