Skip to main content

Hurricanes bring back DeAngelo on one year deal

*Photo from BVM Sports*
   There's a reunion happening in Raleigh. The Carolina Hurricanes and D Tony DeAngelo have agreed to a one year, $1.675 million contract, according to an announcement by the Hurricanes on Monday.

   DeAngelo said of re-signing in Carolina that "I think the way the team plays kind of fit my style more so than I'd ever had before. I'd probably say coaching, more than anything was a big reason. I got along with Rod more than I got along with any other coach that I've played for in my career. That's the kind of guy he is and I feel like we were a good match for one another."

   Last season was DeAngelo's only year with the Philadelphia Flyers. He ended the season with 11 goals and 31 assists for 42 points, averaging 22:04 of ice time over 70 games, posting a rather ugly looking -27 rating in that time.

   This will be DeAngelo's second stint with the Hurricanes after playing there on a $1 million deal in 2021-2022. He gets a slight pay bump in his return to Raleigh, but gets the same term on his second contract.

   DeAngelo has played for the Hurricanes, Flyers, New York Rangers, and Arizona Coyotes over 7 NHL seasons. He has 45 goals and 154 assists to his name, posting a -16 rating over 340 regular season games, averaging 19:26 of ice time. DeAngelo has an additional one goal and 10 assists with a -6 rating in 17 playoff games.

   After his first stint with the Hurricanes, DeAngelo signed a two year, $10 million deal with the Flyers, paying him $5 million per season. He was bought out of the final year of the contract, giving the Flyers a $1,666,667 million cap hit for each of the next two years.

   DeAngelo said of his time with the Flyers that "Obviously the coach and I wound up not fitting together. I guess that would be the main reason behind leaving the team. It didn't work out and as soon as it wasn't working out, we kind of had an idea that if I was going to go anywhere, it would be back to Carolina, if possible."

   The signing of DeAngelo bolsters what could become a crowded blue line for the Hurricanes. Jalen Chatfield, Brett Pesce, Jaccob Slavin, Dmitry Orlov, Brent Burns, and Brady Skjei all in the mix for ice time.

Comments