Skip to main content

Bruins center Bergeron announces retirement

*Photo from Sporting News*
   One of the NHL's best is calling it a career. Boston Bruins center Patrice Bergeron is retiring from playing in the NHL, according to an announcement by both Bergeron and the Bruins on Tuesday.

   Right as Bergeron turned 38, he announced the end of his NHL career after almost two decades in the league. Bergeron was the captain of the Bruins for the past 3 seasons after previous captain Zdeno Chara departed in free agency.

   Bergeron said in a statement that "For the last 20 years I have been able to live my dream every day. I have had the honor of playing in front of the best fans in the world wearing the Bruins uniform and representing my country at the highest levels of international play. I have given the game everything that I have physically and emotionally, and the game has given me back more than I could have ever imagined. It is with a full heart and a lot of gratitude that today I am announcing my retirement as a professional hockey player."

   In his career, Bergeron has been one of the NHL's best defensive forwards routinely. He has been a finalist for the Selke trophy 12 straight seasons, given to the best defensive forward in the NHL, and he won his 6th career Selke this year.

   Last season, Bergeron continued to be a force for the Bruins in his 19th professional season. He scored 27 goals and added 31 assists, posting a +35 rating while averaging 17:24 of ice time in 78 games. He had one goal in 3 playoff games.

   Bergeron's statement also said "As hard as it is to write, I also write it knowing how blessed and lucky I feel to have had the career that I have had, and that I have the opportunity to leave the game I love on my terms. It wasn't a decision that I came to lightly. But after listening to my body, and talking with my family, I know in my heart that this is the right time to step away from playing the game I love."

   In the faceoff dot, Bergeron has taken the most faceoffs in NHL history with 26,206 and has a 57.9 win percentage. His 427 goals, 1,040 points, and 1,294 games put him in 3rd place in Bruins history in all 3 of those categories.

   All 19 of Bergeron's NHL seasons have been with the Bruins, being a first round pick of the team in 2003. He has 427 goals and 613 goals for 1,040 points, averaging 18:41 of ice time with a +289 rating in 1,294 regular season games. Bergeron also has 50 goals and 78 assists while averaging 19:30 of ice time in 170 playoff games.

   Bergeron has had plenty of success playing internationally in his career. He won gold medals with Team Canada in the 2004 World Hockey Championships, the 2005 World Junior Championships, and 2016 World Cup of Hockey, along with the 2010 and 2014 Winter Olympics.

   With Bergeron retired and David Krejci undecided on a return, the Bruins center depth consists of Pavel Zacha, Charlie Coyle, Morgan Geekie, Jayson Megna, Jesper Boqvist, Patrick Brown, and RFA Trent Frederic. They also lost center Tomas Nosek in free agency.

Comments