Skip to main content

Free agent Subban announces retirement

*Photo from All About the Jersey*
   One of the more well known faces of the NHL is hanging it up. Free agent right shot defenseman PK Subban has announced his retirement from the NHL after 13 seasons in the league, according to Subban on Monday.

   Subban retires after almost a decade and a half in the league, suiting up for the Montreal Canadiens, Nashville Predators, and the New Jersey Devils. Subban broke into the league with the Canadiens, spending 6 full seasons in Montreal before a trade to the Predators, and then a trade to the Devils.

   On his Twitter, Subban said that "I remember my dreams of playing in the NHL and winning Stanley Cup, similar to the guys on the 'Don Cherry's Rock'Em Sock'em' tapes at the end of every volume, with the black eyes, broken bones and tears of joy. To this day, I still dream about it. However, the end of this chapter is closing and after 13 years in the NHL, I have made the decision to retire."

   Last season was Subban's 3rd with the Devils, ultimately his final season. He ended the regular season with 5 goals and 17 assists, averaging 18:18 of ice time per game while posting a -8 plus/minus rating in 77 regular season games for the Devils.

   Over Subban's 13 seasons, he has racked up points. Subban has 115 goals and 352 assists, recording a +5 plus/minus rating over an average of 23:28 of ice time per game, playing in 834 career regular season games. Subban has an additional 18 goals and 44 assists over 96 career playoff games, spread over 8 seasons.

   Subban ends his career with a bit of hardware. He took home the Norris Trophy in the 2012-2013 season. He made the NHL first all star team twice and the second all star team once, also taking home the King Clancy Trophy this offseason, awarded for humanitarian contributions.

   Asked about winning the King Clancy Trophy, Subban said that "I never looked at myself or ever felt I was 'just a hockey player.' I always looked at myself as a person who happened to play hockey. Having that perspective allowed me to enjoy every shift like it was my last, celebrate every goal with emotion and play every game as if someone paid to watch me play who had never seen me play before."

   By announcing his retirement on Monday, Subban joins Zdeno Chara as two players who retired on Monday within hours of each other.

Comments