Skip to main content

Rinne announces retirement after 15 seasons

*Photo from KRQE*
   One of the longest tenured goalies in the NHL today is calling it a career. Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne has announced his retirement after 15 seasons in the NHL, according to Rinne himself. 

   Rinne said "For more than 15 years, I've been on an incredible, life-changing journey with the Nashville Predators that has taken me to more places than I could have ever imagined and given me more than I could ever hope to give back. This decision wasn't easy, but I know this is the right one at the right time."

   In the last season of his contract in 2021, Rinne started 23 of the 56 games for the Predators, and appeared in one game in relief. He posted a 10-12-1 record with two shutouts, while posting a .907 save percentage and a 2.84 GAA. In his 15 seasons with Nashville, he has 369-213-75 record in 683 games played, with a 2.43 GAA and a .917 save percentage, with 60 shutouts to his name.

   Rinne said of his time in Nashville that "What Nashville, the organization, the city means to me, this organization gave me a chance and I was able to grow into a man in this city, start a family, a lot of bigger things than hockey. I'm forever thankful for that and grateful. I want to thank the people of Nashville. Every single day I feel appreciated, I feel loved. It is a special, special place and a special relationship with the organization and the people of Nashville."

   In his 15 seasons, Rinne is the Predators leader among goalies in games played, starts, shutouts, wins, GAA, and saves, with 683, 667, 369, 60, 2.43, and 17,627, respectively. He is in first among Finnish goalies in the NHL in regular season games, starts, wins, and shutouts. He is tied for 19th overall in the NHL in total wins, and is in sole possession of 19th in the NHL in shutouts. He also won the 2017-2018 Vezina trophy. 

 In the playoffs, Rinne has won 45 of 89 games in the postseason, both of which are the highest marks in Predators history among goalies. He has a career 2.49 GAA and a .914 save percentage in the playoffs as well. He is most known for helping Nashville all the way to the 2016-2017 Stanley cup finals, where they lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins in 6 games. 

   Rinne said "As I announce my retirement, I'm thankful for my parents, sisters, fiancĂ© Erika, everyone in the Predators organization, management, coaches and trainers, my teammates, and my youth coaches back in Finland. Last but not least, I'm thankful for the people of Nashville. Each of you helped me grow into the man, father, and person I am today."

Comments